Sunday, September 16, 2018

Session #18



Date: Aug 2, 2018
Cummulative flights to date: 27

Site: Kiwanda

Conditions: 7:40PM launch, 8-10 NW
Harness configuration: bare glider with new step fabricated from 1” PVC pipe that pivots on the lower spar so I can push it down into position after I pick the glider up and hook my shoulder straps to the hang tubes. It provides a step approximately 12” below the lower spar that I can step onto that makes getting the opposite foot up over the leading edge spar really easy.
Assistance: none
Launch: solid, step into step and easily swung opposite leg up

The flights: 1

Video/Photos: none

Landing: OK, still too fast and running it on, nothing touched the ground.

Conditions were essentially perfect although when I got as far up to the top as I felt was prudent given the direction was pointing me right to the north end of the cape rocks which I’ve noticed before. Even when the breeze on the beach is N NW. This was a late evening flight because of the tide but turned out really nice since I had the place to myself. Was able to carry the glider facing up the hill until I got up the first pitch. Enough of a breeze there to have to turn around and back up the rest of the way.
Had to release both rudders after launch. Seems to be normal for me to deploy them unintentionally when launching and then forget I’m holding them deployed. Kept good airspeed, made my right turn after using the step to get onto the LE. It was very easy to do even with me being hot and sweaty carrying the glider up and also wearing jeans. Control of the glider, once up in the cage, is extremely easy and stable compared to hanging from the cage by my arms. Operation of the twist grips becomes much easier. Dropping out of the cage prior to landing will take more practice to keep the pitch stable since you are moving your body weight back in the cage a lot which then takes pressure forward on the twist grips to keep from pitching up too much as you flare.

Take aways today are;
The new step I added made mounting the glider very easy. I feel very confident in going inland and flying a higher altitude launch. Controlling the glider once up in the cage has always been very solid and easy. Dropping out of the cage and maintaining pitch control for the flare will be something I’ll need to practice.
I really think I’ve learned enough to safely go to an inland site even though I will need to add the hammock, chute and harness. None of this presented a problem when I launched from Dog Mtn in 2017 so I think I can now progress to high altitude launches as long as I really pick mellow and steady conditions….evenings and mornings.
Really need to tape yarns to the fairing covering on both root strut fairing trailing edges.
Need to find a “hookless” carabiner for my shoulder strap carrier or modify the ones I’m using.
I timed my set-up to right about 30 minutes and then 15 minutes to climb, rest, launch, land and walk the glider back to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment